Friday, April 6, 2012

Dying wool

I have the felting bug and can't stop. I have some beautiful wool and wanted to make different colors.

Through a trial and error process I can now make my own colors using food coloring. I am starting off with this but would like to eventually learn how to dye with natural material. By the way I also have a love for canning jars. Those things can be used for everything, and they are not plastic, yeah!

First I fill a canning jar with hot hot water and I put about a tablespoon of vinegar in it.  I put the wool in the jar and let it sit for 20 minutes.



Second I fill another jar with hot water, a little vinegar and food coloring. Sometimes I mix colors and wait to get a surprise. I put the wool in this jar from the first jar and let it sit for 20 minutes.


Third, I take it out and let it dry on a towel.  Thats it! 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this idea with us on Seasonal Celebration- what a beautiful soft peachy colour the wool becomes!! Which food colour created that, an orange or red? Enjoy a wonderful weekend! Rebecca @ Natural Mothers Network x

    ReplyDelete