Thursday, February 2, 2012

NO SHAMPOO

 We are now three weeks into our no shampoo experience. My husband is still using it, not ready to make the switch.   At first I thought, yuck that seems like it would be gross.

Then I started reseaerching online people who have gone to no shampoo and wrote about it. Some people have expressed that their hair was very dry and itchy. That was my hair.   I though wow if this worked for them maybe I should try it.

 My hair history - After my daughter was born my hair thinned and became very dry.  It becomes extremely itchy and flaky during the winter. It has never gone back to the original full curls that I had when I was younger. I would love to have that back.

What I do

Twice a week I make a paste with baking soda and water.  Then I put that on my roots, let it sit for a minute then rinse it out. Why this step you ask. When we wash our hair over and over again we are washing away natural oils that our bodies produce. When you stop washing, your hair still produces the amount that it was until it detects that you don't need that much anymore. So the baking soda absorbs this excess oil.

Next step for me is every 2 days I use apple cider vinegar and water. I mix one part vinegar to 4 parts water in a spray bottle. Then I spray all over my hair, this time avoiding my scalp. Let that sit for two minutes, then rinse.  This conditions the hair.

I may experiment with honey or natural oils at some point.  So far though my hair is fuller and the itchy and flaky scalp is gone. I am really happy that it has worked out for me. Now to work on the husband.  The kids don't mind it but they don't like the smell of the vinegar when I spray it on.

Answers.
-It does not leave my hair smelling like vinegar.
-I don't use styling gel, spray or anything. So I couldn't tell you how these come out.
-On other days I just rinse my hair with water, or I just put it up with a scrunchie.

1 comment:

  1. I use apple cider vinegar that I infuse with rosemary (just filled a canning jar with dried rosemary and continue to pour ACV). I strain it into an old ketchup bottle. The rosemary helps with the smell of the vinegar. I've read that some people use citrus peels in their vinegar. Pick an herb or such and see if your kids like that better. I found that if I use the vinegar first and then shampoo (I'm not no poo yet) it doesn't leave the same vinegar smell. I did experiment with no shampoo and used the vinegar last and every time my hair got damp it really smelled like vinegar (and I live in an environment with damp seasons).

    ReplyDelete