Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Frugal

As a family we have, for many years, lived frugally.  Some call it cheap, I call it WISE. We are not at all concerned about what other people have, It is a pet peeve of mine. We try to buy most of our clothes at church sales and thrift shops.  I personally find that Goodwill and Salvation Army are high priced for me. I like to pay $1 or less for a piece of clothing.  We don't pay for haircuts because I just do it myself. I don't need my nails and hair done to feel good, they will just break when I garden anyway.
We accomplished a big goal a few years ago by paying off our credit cards. We do not have cell phones or cable.  This is a mojor expense that most of my life I have not paid for, to me it is a waste. WHAT! 

The past few years we have been doing much better with things like couponing. I have saved a third on our grocery bill. We also bought a new car that gets better gas mileage. The insurance went down and the interest rates are lower than they were when we bought our older car. Believe it or not but it was less money each month for the new one.

We are also gardening more. We had to pay the upfront cost of building five raised beds, well worth it though. Last summer we grew peas, beans, carrots, broccoli, tomatoes, strawberries, peppers, radishes, zucchini cucumbers, and herbs. I have saved by freezing and canning the results. We have learned so much from blogs and have made most gifts given this past year. Thanks to those blogs I have also found felting!!!!   OH I love felting.

We have our family financial goals for the year. We bought an olive barrel last fall so that we could make a rain barrel this year. We may also make a solar panel, homeschool science project. Garden planning has already begun. Who knows what the year will bring, so exciting!

We will of course continue with our wise and frugal ways.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're a woman after my own heart! I write on http://www.naturalmothersnetwork.com and would love it you visited me there.!
    I'm hosting a weekly linky which is all about seasonal celebration and would love it if you popped over and linked this post! It would be great to introduce your blog to my readership! Seasonal Celebration Linky http://naturalmothersnetwork.com/seasonal-celebration-sunday/seasonal-celebration/ Really hope to see you there! Rebecca x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for placing this post at Natural Mothers Network's linky: Seasonal Celebration! You helped make Seasonal Celebration a wealth of intelligent, creative and resourceful information and it's been such a pleasure for me and many others to read through each post. I am really looking forward to seeing you again Sunday evening or Monday! Rebecca x

    ReplyDelete